Google

Monday, May 21, 2007

A book that my frens read

After reading this book, my friends were changed profoundly. They began spouting acronyms and other rather vague, seemingly innocuous terms. These terms, to quote the book, had entered their 'permanent lexicon'. The subject matter of the book has become a large part of their lives. My interest was first piqued hearing them discussing the subject matter of the book, using the acronyms and terms that they learnt. They made the subject matter sound like an exact science, with theories and rules etc.....It was interesting to observe them, deep in their discussions, like scientists. Exchanging information, analyzing experiment results, extrapolating conclusions.

Eventually a pdf copy of the book made its way to my hard drive. After reading the first 2 chapters, the book strikes me as a combination between autobiography and non-fiction. The writing style is engaging, keeping the reader intrigued. Now I have to admit, I find myself rather apprehensive in reading this book, seeing as how my friends are so affected by it. Not in a negative way though. Kind of like a lifestyle choice, like choosing to only give up your seats on the train to elderly folks and not people with babies, that sort of thing. But I shall venture on, as I have nothing else to read. I can only hope it will not change me, as it has to my friends and no doubt countless others.

No comments: